SCPD urges support of legislation which grants gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender citizens the same civil rights and protections that heterosexual citizens enjoy.
On the federal level this includes:
- support for the Employment NonDiscrimination Act, which would prevent qualified, accomplished LGTB citizens frommbeing terminated from their jobs solely because of who they love
- support for the Hate Crimes Act to include sexual orientation and gender identity, with the current classifications full partner recognition and responsibilities as defined by civil marriage. This requires overturning of the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
On the state level this includes:
- support for the Equal Housing and Employment Act
- support for full two-parent adoption by same-sex couples
- support for re-issuance of birth certificates for transgender citizens showing their correct gender
- support for partner recognition and responsibility through overturning the Ohio Defense of Marriage Act and amending the constitution to overturn Issue 1, defining marriage as
- between one man and one woman
SCPD strongly believes that it is past time for all Americans to be treated fairly and equally under the law.