We believe, in applying the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, that safeguards for the protection of the public that place reasonable limits on gun sales, ownership, and use are necessary. We are committed to the ideal of creating an America free from gun violence, where the public is safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.
We support enacting and enforcing sensible regulations to reduce gun violence by support of the following principles
- Gun possession by persons posing an unreasonable risk of harm should be banned. Standards for assessing such risk must protect against illegal discrimination.
- The assault weapons ban should be reinstated without loopholes, grandfather clauses, or sunset provisions.
- The size of gun clips and magazines should be limited.
- The sales of weapons should be strictly regulated and enforced.
- The Conceal Carry law in the state of Ohio should be repealed.
- Firearms should be prohibited in schools, government offices, and state and national parks.
- The safe storage of firearms should be regulated to prevent gun accidents.
- Anyone procuring a gun should be licensed and educated about safe and responsible gun use and ownership.
- We oppose the principles and tactics of the NRA that are contrary to this position statement.
Gun Violence Prevention Reading List
Disarmed: The Missing Movement for Gun Control in America by Kristin A. Goss, Princeton University Press, Princeton and Oxford 2006.
Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist by Richard Feldman, John Wiley and Sons, INC. 2008.
Lethal Logic: Exploding the Myths that Paralyze American Gun Policy. By Dennis A. Henigan. Potomac books INC. Washington, D.C. 2009.
Gun Crusaders: The NRA’s Culture War, by Scott Melzer, New York University Press, New York and London, 2009.
Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky, (can be found on line or in the Summit County Library.
The Brady Campaign: www.bradycampain.org
Violence Policy Center: www.vpc.org (an excellent source of information).
Heeding God’s Call: www.heedinggodscall.org (a faith based group working to end gunviolence through local action).
Coalition to Stop Gun Violence: www.csgv.org